I was reading some travel writing recently, and I got inspired to do some writing of my own.
I wanted to capture the essence of what inspires the people I’ve travelled with over the years, and distill it into a set of principles for our community of travellers.
In the process of creating this creed, I ran it by my friends, mentors, and some of the fine people who have travelled with me. As a traveller and a new member of Wheel & Anchor, I think you’ll find yourself nodding along as you read.
THE TRAVELLER’S CREED
1. I will approach each trip with the same excitement and anticipation as the first time I travelled; I will allow myself to get excited and stay excited
2. I will travel slowly and deliberately; I will fully immerse myself in and be present to the experience
3. I will look up at buildings and down at cobblestones, and be grateful for every breathtaking moment during my travels
4. I will try the local food and drink, so as to expand my palate and my appreciation of other cultures
5. I will look beyond the lens of my worldview, and will not expect that the places I visit conform to my values
6. I will be gracious and generous with our foreign hosts, and remember that travel is a privilege
7. I will inform myself about where I’m going before I get there, including learning at least a few phrases of the local language
8. I will seek out both sunrises and sunsets, to soak in the energy and colours of the sun from another part of our planet
9. I will have patience and understand that not everything works as it does at home, remembering that I am a guest in another country
10. I will keep an open mind and a compassionate heart, celebrating the friendship and camaraderie of my fellow travellers
Do you agree? Would you add anything? Share your thoughts in the comments! For inspiring travel stories, and updates on fun social events and unforgettable travel experiences, subscribe to our weekly newsletter!