Greetings from Thailand!
Well, this is my final newsletter for 2020, perhaps the most challenging year, personally and professionally, that I can remember...and I'm sure many of you might agree.
However rather than dwell on the hard parts, I like to frame it all in a little tradition at this time of year that I got from some very good traveller friends of mine. As we enter the final days of 2020, it's a time for both some reflection on what was, and some thought about what could be for the year ahead.
Every year around this time I ask myself and my team three questions:
1. What will you leave behind from 2020?
2. What will you bring with you from 2020?
3. What will you do more of in 2021?
The joy of travel happens between the reflection of past trips and the anticipation of future ones, and I have always found this little exercise to aid in creating a virtuous cycle of reflection and growth in my life as a traveller.
So, for 2020 I shall...
1. Leave behind worrying and stressing about things completely out of my control. A tall order perhaps amidst the situation we find ourselves in, but recognizing which things are completely out of my hands has allowed me to focus on the things that are, and find some power in tough times.
2. Bring with me the habit of being more in contact with the important people in my life, including friends, family, and members of our travel community. One of the things the pandemic brought into focus was the importance of staying connected to the important people in my life, and to not let life get in the way of reaching out.
And in 2021 I shall do more of...
3. Spreading optimism and enthusiasm, and enabling people to dream about travel for the future. In a year defined by contagion, I think it's important to remember that optimism and positive energy are contagious as well! And good things happen when we commit ourselves to sharing more of both.
I'll sign off now, though I'd love to hear your thoughts and musings too as you prepare to say goodbye to 2020 and welcome the new beginnings of 2021, should you have any to share.
Otherwise, stay safe and warm, and I look forward to being in touch with you in the New Year. Some great things in store for us all!
Leave a comment!